Saturday, July 7, 2007

A day in the sun.



I've spent a lot of today in my backyard working on a tank. I imagine a lot of you have not heard of my crazy RC Tank project so I'll fill you in. I'm making a 1:6 Soviet T-35 tank, the real ones look like this.

Mine currently looks more like this. Even though mine is upside down in that picture Shiva sitting on/in it should give you an idea of the scale. At 1:6th it's about 6' long and 1 1/2' wide and my estimate on finished weight is around 200 lbs. It'll be powered by two 24v DeWalt drill motors and two 12v Optima batteries, the tracks are made out of #60 carrier chain. The chassis is 1" square steel tube with 1/4" thick walls, around 50' of it, and the skin is 16g steel sheet metal. Ultimately it'll have 5 turrets, just like the original, and a Paintball gun for the main gun. I'm hoping it'll be rolling before December and operational turrets and other non-drive-train related things middle of '08. Today was a good day though, I drilled and tapped holes for all those bolts you see down the side. Just so you don't all think I'm compleatly insane take a look at the page of the other 1:6th scale RC Tank people. RC Tank Combat.

3 comments:

Michael said...

We all need to get "tanked" off and on. (ok ok that was an "Oh Fred")

Michael

christopher said...

maybe just a little insane though.

Erick said...

yeah, that's always a possibility. I weighed all the parts I have here today, which doesn't include the two 48lb batteries, and its just over 150lbs.