Thursday, August 9, 2007

Making stout


7 years ago I got a beer making kit as a gift. Until now I either hadn't had the desire to do it or had forgotten I had it. The other day I found all the parts and decided it was time to use it. I collected 42 beer bottles and replaced the parts that had gone bad and got to it. Boiling and stirring and mixing and pouring and a bit of swearing later and it was all in the carboy fermenting. This morning showed it was fermenting rather excitedly. Lucky all the spillage stayed on the wood floor and not into the carpet. I cleaned up the bottle and the floor and put the whole thing into a plastic plant tray. I'm hoping it slows down soon here.

4 comments:

Patty said...

"EXPLOSION!" "CAUTION!" First-timer at large!!!! Take cover Shiva!

markandjoanne said...

A word from an experienced homebrewer (>20 batches):

Either 1) use a sanitary bucket sold at homebrew stores for primary fermentation, then transfer into the carboy for seconday after this rapid yeast activity slows down or, 2) buy a "blow-off" tube and put this in a container of water until rapid activity is done, then put on your airlock.

The good news is that your yeast is working great! You want a quick and active initial burst. Less time for wild yeast to establish.

Congrats on the homebrew adventure,
Mark

markandjoanne said...

P.S. It'll slow down in about twelve hours or so. You only have a limited amount of sugar for those little yeasties to munch on.

Erick said...

The bucket I got with the brewing kit was unavailable for the primary stuff, it was getting a 1" hole cut in it for a spigot so I could use to fill bottles later.