Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Drew Family Potato Salad Basics

Cheri and I spoke yesterday about Mom's potato salad and we both agreed that we don't know anything about quantities, only the ingredients. It was always a mix and taste salad, so I am going to start this stream with the ingredients and we can work together and develop the whole recipe. Of course, with any Drew recipe, changes are not only likely, but manditory. Experimentation is always one of the ingredients. My memories of the basics of the salad are:
Big brown potatoes, boiled in their skins and peeled before they get mushy
Mayonaise
Yellow mustard
Boiled Eggs, chopped
Onions, minced
Dill pickles, minced or relish
Pickle juice
Salt & Pepper
Paprika sprinkled on top for color

5 comments:

markandjoanne said...

Next time Joanne and I make Mom's potato salad I'll try and get a rough estimate of amounts.

Also, are you sure about dill pickles? My memory is sweet pickles.

Mark

Ric and Cheri said...

I think Mom used either dill or sweet it depended on what she had. Also you forgot that one of the hard boiled egg she would cut to look like a flower and put it on top of the bowl of potato salad with paprika on it too. Ahhh sweet memories.

devonne said...

ok pray for me, i'm gonna try it. hope i get it.
thanks for the help. . .
devonne

i'll let you know how it turns out

Pat and Patty said...

Yes, Mark. Sweet pickies.

Ric and Cheri said...

Devonne make sure you mix the mayo, pickle, juice, and mustard in a small bowl first before you add it to the potato mix, it helps get a more even flavor.