Monday, June 4, 2007

Gabrielito (little Gabriel)


This is the newest member of la familia Rosario Kilmer. Eliacin Gabriel Rosario Kilmer. In this picture he's just about five months old. For those who don't know his story a quick recap. Gabriel was born at 1:13 in the morning Christmas day at a whopping 9lbs. 9oz. and 24in. He had problems breathing and was on a ventilator for 3 days and we didn't hold him for four. But he improved rapidly and once he was off the vent, he got better even faster. He's been in perfect health since and is a real joy. He's growing like a weed and is already wearing 12 month clothing!

He was just baptized last weekend and we're really excited to be bringing him into the Christian family. His big sister adores him and the first one she wants to see in the morning is no longer her "papi" but her Bwuder Gabrielito. Gabriel is a real smiley boy. I've never seen a baby who smiles so much!

For those who may wonder why for heaven's sake did we give our kids such long names, a quick lesson in Hispanic culture. In Puerto Rico and many other Hispanic cultures you use two last names: your father's father's name and your mother's father's name. For example mine would be Ricci Leigh Kilmer Drew. Mom's would be Cheri Catherine Drew Fine, etc... . Also women don't change their names when they get married (that would get extremely confusing.) So when Eliacin and I were married we decided that we'd go with the Hispanic traditions instead of American ones which is why I'm still Ricci Kilmer and why are children have two last names. (Catie is Catherine Ester Rosario Kilmer.) In the US we have to hyphenate them but in Puerto Rico all forms require two last names. Women down there get can quite offended when the mother's name is left off because to them it lacks respect for her role in the family. So there you go! Lesson over.

I must say that I'm really loving reading this blog. When I was away I expected to feel a sense of distance from my family, but since I've been back I've actually been feeling it even more especially since I couldn't travel far from the hospital around the holidays. I'm thrilled to be getting reaquainted with you all and I don't feel so distant anymore. When I can collect a few more photos from Eliacin's computer I'll get you more updated on us and show you how Catie has grown. Peace be with you!

3 comments:

devonne said...

what a little doll. sooooo cute. can't wait to see a pic of your daughter

Dottie and Larry said...

Thanks for the photo. We need to arrange a way to see him in person - SOON!
Aunt Dottie

Alesta Leigh said...

He has really cute hair! I love it! Good to hear from you.